According to the ancient travel - writer Pausania Poros is comprised of two islands Sphairia and Kalavria (the name Kalavria means "gentle Breeze". Kalavria at first was offered to the god Apollo and he made it over to the god Poseidon in return for Delphi. Kalavria is quite larger than Sphairia and is planted all over. Sphairia is a volcanic rock. In mythology times Aithra founded in Sphairia the temple of Athena Apatoria in honor of her encounter with the god Poseidon.
In the north part of the island there are the ruins of Poseidon's Temple, which was built in 520BC. The main Temple was built in Doric style, though some of its columns were Ionian. Nearly the Temple there was the built up area of Kalavria.
Such was the place's importance that it functioned as the center for the Amphictyonic League (amphictionnes: dwellers around") a voluntary "cooperative" of city-states in both civic and religious matters, which included Hermione, Epidauros, Aigina, Prassies, Athens and Orhomenos
At the Poseidon's Temple came Demosthenes the ancient great orator availing himself of its right of sanctuary as Philip the King of Macedonia chased him.
Poros played a significant role in 1821 Revolution. It was placed on the map of history in 1828 where rival assemblies met to make important decisions, which set the Constitution in a positive direction. In 1830 the building of the shipyard and naval station at Poros began.
If you have any questions or remarks, contact us at: info(at)webmania.gr